Saturday, April 04, 2020

Best plan: isolate, don't get sick, don't go to THE HOSPITAL

You don't want to get sick with Covid, you don't want to go to this hospital.

This from NextDoor:

Please Be Safe
So here I sit, in the Evanston Hospital Emergency Room. I would rather be almost anywhere else, but this illness and all that surrounds is way beyond our control.

First and foremost I thank all of the essential workers for keeping us going in the terrible time.

Secondly, and somewhat more importantly, Get Real People!  This Is Serious And You Need To Take The Precautions.

1. Stop hanging out!  While driving over to the hospital I noticed several groups of kids and teens hanging out together. Parents, please prevent this gathering, we need to reduce transmission.
2. Stop touching things!  I have now watched multiple staff, patients, and visitors come in the hospital and not pay any attention to where there hands are. It is scary to see how many things people touch and how often they touch their faces. Keep your hands in your pocket!
3. Hospital staff needs to know what the plan is and stick to it. In the last hour I have been sitting in the COVID-19 waiting area while waiting for my next steps. This is what I have seen:
A. Security are wearing masks but not gloves. But the security guard when you enter the E.R. sitting behind the desk is not even wearing a mask.
B. Visitors that are being allowed in have their temperature and symptoms checked. They are handed a mask and allowed in. It amazes me how many people just walk in and keep the mask in their hands rather than putting it on.
C. I have seen multiple staff go in the locked E.R. doors without their passes simply by rushing through after someone comes out, before the door closes.
D. What confused me most was that they have a divider in the waiting area.  The nurse that saw me in triage said that the right side was for patients with respiratory issues and the left for other patients. Then I saw two or three family members coming in and wanted to see their person in the E.R.  The nursing staff talked to them, checked them and had them put on a mask. They they told them to go sit in the waiting area. And directed them to the respiratory infection side!  What?  Don’t they know which is which?  Doesn’t this significantly affect our ability to contain it?
E. Please don’t get me wrong, I have a long history of Evanston Hospital saving my life. I love them and their staff!  But, based on what is going on in the rest of the world, PLEASE GET MORE SERIOUS ABOUT THE RULES AND PROCEDURES AND MAKE SURE EVERYONE KNOWS AND STICKS TO IT.

Everyone please take extra steps to be safe!

Happy to add that once they have you in a bed in the ER, they know what they are doing and appear to be following a tight regimen.  Be sure to thank your personal higher power for the fantastic job our healthcare people are doing for us.  And don’t forget all the other essential workers!

No comments: